Speech Language Services for Children
The Hearing and Speech Center offers Speech Language therapy for:
- Phonology/Articulation Disorders: Improve a child's ability to make speech sounds or eliminate patterns of errors that make it difficult to understand him/her.
- Language Delay/Disorders: Improve a child's ability to express ideas or understand the speech/language of others.
- Phonological Awareness: Improve a child's understanding of the sounds of English and the corresponding letters an important skill in learning to read. Some children have difficulty with this as well as learning to rhyme.
- Voice Disorders: Improve a child's vocal quality when it is harsh, hoarse, or raspy voice quality due to overuse/abuse, nodules, or degenerative diseases.
- Organic Disorders: Improve the communication abilities of children who have Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Cleft Lip/Palate, Developmental Apraxia of Speech, etc.
- Fluency/Stuttering: Improve a child's ability to produce fluent speech.
- Oral-Motor/Feeding: Improve the strength and mobility of a child's mouth for speech, non-speech and feeding tasks.
- Auditory Processing Disorders: Improve a child's ability to process/understand speech and language.
- Aural Rehabilitation: Improve the communication abilities of children with hearing loss - Hearing Aids and /or Cochlear Implants.
- English Language Evaluations and Stimulation: Increase exposure to spoken English for children who are bilingual - particularly hearing children of Deaf parents (CODAs).
The Hearing and Speech Center Staff strive to meet the communication needs of all our clients - clinicians know and use American Sign Language.
Please contact the GUHSC front desk administrator, Shari' Parks, at 202-651-5328 (v/tty) or 202-250-2119/toll free 866-957-1232 (vp) to schedule an appointment or to inquire about specific fees.