To schedule an appointment, please call 202-651-5328 (voice) or 202-250-2119 (videophone) or email

Resources > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Visiting GUHSC

Third-Party Healthcare Insurance Coverage

Billing and Payment


Visiting GUHSC

Q: How do I schedule an appointment?
A: Contact the GUHSC front desk administrator, Shari' Parks, by email at, or by calling 202-651-5328 (voice) or 202-250-2119 (videophone).

Q: What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?
A: One form of government-issued identification, such as a driver’s license or a passport, and your insurance card.

Q: I have Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) support. What do I need to bring to my appointment?
A: GUHSC will need your VR counselor's full name and contact information including address, phone number and/or email address.

Q: Can I bring my service dog to my appointment?
A: Your service dog MUST display an ID badge, vest, and/or card. If your pet is not a working service dog, you must remain out of GUHSC.

GUHSC complies with the overall policy of Gallaudet University concerning the presence of service animals. Please click here to read this policy in more detail.

Q: Is there parking at GUHSC?
A: GUHSC has parking available at the Sorenson Building lot, which includes handicapped spaces. If you are parked in the GUHSC-reserved parking spaces, please make sure you ask the clinic secretary for a parking permit to avoid being ticketed and/or towed.

GUHSC parking lot map

To view and download the Gallaudet University campus map showing how to get to the GUHSC parking lot, please click here. (~953 KB size PDF file; requires Adobe Reader to view)

Q: What happens if I miss my appointment?
A: Effective March 10, 2009, there will be a $20.00 rescheduling fee if you cannot keep your appointment and fail to notify us by phone or email at least 24 hours in advance of your appointment time.

Q: Can I refer someone to GUHSC to receive services?
A: Yes, individuals may make appointments for themselves or be referred by others.

Back to top...


Third-Party Healthcare Insurance Coverage

Q: Why did GUHSC decide to start accepting third-party insurance?
A: Since the opening of the GUHSC in the Sorenson Language and Communication Center in 2008, the intent has been to offer audiological and related services to the larger D.C. community. In order to do that, GUHSC had to begin accepting third party insurance coverage to be able to offer affordable services to patients.

Once GUHSC began accepting DC Medicaid, and other third party insurance coverage it was required to comply with regulatory mandates and guidelines that specify that all patients provide third party insurance information, if available.

Q: When will GUHSC start to collect third-party insurance?
A: May 31, 2011.

Q: Which insurance carriers does GUHSC accept?
A: GUHSC currently accepts Blue Cross/Blue Shield, KAISER Permanente, United Healthcare, Cigna, Amerihealth, TRICARE, and DC Medicaid (*Hearing Tests Only).

Q: What if I (or my family member) don't have healthcare insurance?
A: If you don’t have insurance you can still receive services at GUHSC. You will be charged on a sliding scale based on what you can afford to pay.

Q: How do the changes affect the discount on hearing aids I have received in the past?
A: Because of the regulations attached to accepting insurance payments, we are unable to offer special pricing for employees. However, GUHSC is working to provide the best possible value to all of its patients who purchase hearing aids and expect our prices to be highly competitive.

Q: I have healthcare insurance, but not one that GUHSC accepts. Can I still obtain services at GUHSC?
A: Yes, you can obtain services. At the time of your visit, you will need to pay for the cost of services up front. GUHSC will provide you with the necessary receipt and documentation you will need to apply for reimbursement from your provider.

Back to top...


Billing and Payment

Q: What methods of payment does GUHSC accept?
A: GUHSC accepts Visa, Mastercard, check, and cash (sorry, we cannot accept anything larger than a 20-dollar bill).

Q: Who do I contact if I have qusetions about my bill?
A: Contact the GUHSC front desk administrator, Shari' Parks, by email at, or by calling 202-651-5328 (voice) or 202-250-2119 (videophone).

Back to top...